Thank you for Subscribing to CIO Applications Europe Weekly Brief
Five Compelling Reasons for Cyber Security Investment
Cybersecurity has always remained in front and a priority for many business leaders due to the sudden increase in cyber-attacks and data breaches. It is essential for every organization to be aware of the dangers and adopt the necessary steps to avoid them. There are numerous aspects of defense and below listed are a few among them which can help in long-term protection from cyber-criminals and hackers.
1. Penetration Testing: In this system, professionals adopt similar techniques utilized by the malicious actors to check for the potential vulnerabilities and the areas of weakness. It is a mock test which incorporates almost everything from password cracking and code injection to phishing to stimulate the attack a business might face in the future.
2. Employee Education: Social engineering attacks refer to the psychological manipulation of people for revealing confidential information. These attacks are most common but are preventable by phishing attempts, unethical web use or incoming calls. Hence it becomes essential to train or educate the staff, specially the non-techie ones who aren’t always ready to combat a cyber attack. To safeguard the organization, one need to conduct training sessions, spotting suspicious links or scams, these practices would make a huge difference in the long run.
3. Firewall: One of the most common and essential tools for defense is Firewall, which blocks any unauthorized access to the system. Firewalls monitor the network traffic and guide one that whether this access should pass freely onto the network or computing device or not. It is one of the useful tools for businesses.
4. Public Key Infrastructure (PKI): Going for a secure sockets layer (SSL) or transport layer security (TSL) can be one exciting and valuable option to consider. These security protocols have the potential to encrypt data which is sent to the customer’s computer and the small and medium-sized businesses’ (SMB’s) web server. Moreover, PKI resolves many security concerns like multi-factor authentication, encrypts email communication, and creates compliant and trusted digital signatures, and builds identity and trust into IoT ecosystems.
5. Antivirus Software: Having a secure firewall and updated antivirus software is crucial to combat advanced hacking in 2019. This software is an alert regarding malware infections, malicious attachments, web links, and many more; therefore it becomes a must. Among the large variety of antivirus software available, choose the one that is best suited for the organization.
Hence, it has become important to invest in these tools and services for a better future. Failing to do so will put the organization into trouble, making it an easy target for the cyber actors. The expense of investment is a lot, but it will reward the business with long-term security and protection.